Do you want to be part of the growing Britannica Digital Learning team?
We are currently recruiting for a Financial Controller (Maternity cover, 10 months, starting August 2019), below are details of the role, and if you would like more information or to discuss further then please contact us on the below address.
Job Title: Financial Controller – EMEA
Department: Senior Executive Team
Reports To: SVP EMEA & Global Financial Officer
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Financial Controller will be accountable for the accounting and operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of the financial system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles and international financial reporting standards.
As a key member on the senior leadership team, the FC will also work closely with the Global Chief Financial Officer in Chicago to ensure EB (UK) Ltd’s full compliance with EB Inc’s financial objectives and directives.
The following are essential job functions. The roles and duties below are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required for this position.
Enyclopædia Britannica (UK) seek a Financial Controller who will be responsible for the efforts and results of the financial department. Reporting of all financial and accounting activities. Overseeing the financial department staff in day-to-day operations. This includes the following:
Principal objectives of the position:
- Provide a high standard of support for all customers and partners.
- Provide customer usage statistic reports.
- Provide support to the internal teams as needed.
Specifically, the responsibilities include:
Objective 1: Ensure EB (UK) Ltd’s full compliance with UK company law and accounting requirements/standards
- Review and update all compliance requirements in the light of current UK company law.
- Ensure integrity of business from a financial & legal perspective
- Review annual tax returns prepared by auditors
- Ensure VAT returns are prepared and submitted on time
- Company secretarial compliance
- Actively manage audit with statutory auditors for timely completion and to minimise fees
- Submission of statutory accounts
- Reviewing all contracts
- Assess business proposals in relation to legal, tax and accounting requirements
Objective 2: Ensure EB (UK) Ltd’s full compliance with EB Inc’s financial objectives and directives
- Compliance with company’s financial operations and administrative policy
- Liaison with H/O Finance as required
Objective 3: Financial accounting: ensure accurate, timely and informative preparation of monthly and annual financial accounts, annual budget and quarterly re-forecasts
- Development of annual budgets in planning discussions with other members of executive management group
- Production of quarterly re-forecasts following executive management group discussions
- Ensure monthly and annual MRP accounts and cash reports to H/O are prepared
- Strategic financial planning for three-year growth plan, incorporating company P&L, balance sheets and cash flow forecasts for rolling next three financial years. Provide input into interpretation of policy in relation to finance function
- Management of payroll function
- Ensure cash generation is maximized and cash transferred to H/O in most efficient manner. Review currency management and provide analysis and actionable proposals for insurance against the effect of currency fluctuation. Manage approved currency programs
- Responsibility for management and development of accounts through Netsuite accounting system
Objective 4: Management accounting: lead development, maintenance and informative presentation of management performance measures; contribute the financial perspective to the analysis of new business objectives and initiatives
- Prepare monthly management accounts by divisions and sector; provide YTD and rolling graphical analysis of individual sectors. Review and contribute advice with executive management group
- Contribute opinion and analysis on individual projects and sectors to the strategic development of the company. Provide variance analysis of different project proposal options. Develop three-year project and sector growth plan analysis for executive management group discussions
- Oversee development and management of divisional management accounts
- Oversee variance analysis and advise on rectifying action where appropriate
- Provision of management information to functional departments and to US
Objective 5: Contribute to the management of EB (UK) Ltd through membership of the executive management group.
- Contribute financial and wider business perspective to strategic development discussions
- Contribute financial modeling and analysis to mid- and long-term planning
- Contribute financial and wider business perspective to monthly management group meeting
- Share full executive management group responsibility for setting and implementing business strategy and handling current corporate management issues
Objective 6: Exercise the full responsibility of personal and professional care and for staff reporting to the position
- Ensure thorough and regular consultation that staff are clear in their objectives and duties
- Pay prompt attention to problems or grievances that may arise
- Work in consultation with staff members to develop an individual CPD programme
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience: Must be CCAB qualified, with at least 3 years post-qualification experience. Some type of experience working in an international environment with a US parent company would be advantageous.
Skills/Knowledge: Excellent financial management and financial planning skills; good commercial awareness and understanding; outstanding mathematical skills; honesty; integrity; reliability; high attention to detail; solid written and verbal communication skills; critical thinking and problem- solving skills; analytical skills; good technical and systems knowledge; strong interpersonal skills required to facilitate implementation and enforcement of financial controls; strong leadership and influencing skills; hardworking and proactive; approachable; previous experience in managing staff; understanding of data privacy standards, and organized and meticulous to ensure all systems and processes that we have in place are correctly followed and documented.
Other Requirements: Educated to degree level; Previous experience in Netsuite; Familiarity with US Gaap
Job Type: Full-time, Maternity Cover, 10 Months starting August 2019
Place of work: 2nd Floor Unity Wharf, 13 Mill Street, London SE1 2BH
To apply or for more information, please contact Teniel Pillai on [email protected]